Moroccan oil is being billed as one of the best natural hair care products around. Because of this, a growing number of Moroccan oil shampoo products have begun to emerge onto the hair care market. But with all these products, each promising incredible results for your hair, finding the best shampoo for your hair type can be a real challenge. Well fear not, we at MegaOils have put together the definitive guide to choosing the right shampoo for you.
The Definitive Megaoils Comparison Chart
|Image||Brand||Volume (ml)||Price||Rating (out of 5)|
|Moroccan Oil Extra Volume Shampoo||1000||$$$||4.3|
|DermOrganic Sulfate-Free Conditioning Shampoo with Argan Oil||1000||$$||4.3|
|Moroccan Oil Moisture Repair Shampoo||1000||$$$||4.5|
|Renpure Originals Argan Oil Shampoo||473 x 2||$$||4.4|
|One N' Only Argan Oil Moisture Repair Shampoo||350||$||4.1|
|Organix Renewing Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo Salon Size, 25.4 Ounce||750||$||4.0|
|Agadir Argan Oil Daily Moisturizing Shampoo 33.8 Oz||1000||$$||5|
|Agadir Argan Oil Daily Volumizing Shampoo, 12 Ounce||355||$$$||4.1|
|Creme of Nature Moisture & Shine Shampoo with Argan Oil: 12 OZ||355||$$||4.3|
|Pura d'or Hair Loss Prevention Premium Organic Shampoo, Brown and Blue, 16 Fluid Ounce||473||$$||3.2|
Moroccan Oil vs Argan Oil vs Moroccanoil: What’s the difference?
Before we dive into the benefits of using Moroccan oil on your hair it’s important that we clear up some subtle differences in terms.
- Argan Oil: Native to Morocco, argan Oil is derived from the pressed kernels of the Argan Tree (Argania spinosa). Argan oil is known to have many cosmetic benefits, thanks to its high levels of Vitamin E and essential fatty acids. It can be used on both the hair and skin and is commonly used to treat acne, dry and irritated skin, reduce scarring and blemishes. As well as this, argan oil has been praised for its anti-aging properties and is used to reduce wrinkles and fine lines. A true Mega Oil!
- Moroccan oil: Now, Moroccan oil is simply another name for argan oil. The two terms are often used interchangeably, which can be confusing as companies will sometimes brand their product as Moroccan oil but add other active ingredients to the mix. For this reason, always make sure you check the ingredients on Moroccan oil products prior to purchase.
- Moroccanoil: This is a brand name. Moroccanoil produces a number of cosmetic products which contain argan oil as one of their active ingredients. Other ingredients in Moroccanoil hair care products include: Cyclomethicone and Dimethicone – silicones used to smooth and de-tangle hair, linseed extract – a fatty acid rich derivative of linseed oil, and some synthetic fragrances, such as Butylphenyl Methylpropional.
Why Use a Moroccan Oil Shampoo?
- Use of argan oil has been shown to naturally hydrate and moisturize hair follicles. This is great news if your hair is dry or porous thanks to over treatment, or if you’re prone to flyaway hair. It’s moisturizing properties have been compared to coconut oil, which is essentially the gold standard for natural hair hydration and works especially well for those with more coarse, African hair types.
- For the same reasons, argan oil has been shown to work fantastically on unmanageable hair and split ends. Argan oil penetrates deep into the pores of hair follicles, and thanks to nutrients such as vitamin E, F and numerous phenols, provides lasting nourishment and shine.
- The vitamin E found in argan oil works especially well on hair that has been damaged by environmental factors such as sun exposure. In addition, argan oil offers great UV ray protection, allowing you to treat your hair while protecting it too. Awesome!
Top Products Reviewed
Great for: Thin hair, damaged hair, over-treated hair, unmanageable hair, hair loss
Let’s start with one of the most recognizable brands in the argan oil market. Moroccanoil has been billed with creating the original Moroccanoil treatment which revolutionized the haircare industry. Whether or not this is true, Moroccanoil is incredibly popular, and for good reason. Their wide range of products demonstrate the incredible versatility of argan oil, with shampoos designed to treat almost every type of hair.
Moroccan Extra Volume Shampoo cleanses while providing a great natural boost to hair volume, which is perfect for those with fine or limp and lifeless hair. This shampoo will gently nourish hair follicles, leaving your hair luminous without stripping it or weighing it down. This is thanks in part to the addition of keratin and ‘Tilicine’, which according to Moroccanoil is:
“an element derived from the nutritious buds of a member of the hibiscus family, called the Linden plant. By combining Tilicine with other nourishing ingredients like natural sugars, proteins and hormones, these blends penetrate the hair and plump the cuticle from the inside out for optimal shine, manageability and movement, while reducing static without weighing hair down“
It’s colour safe for those of you who dye your hair and despite being sulfate free, lathers beautifully. This shampoo is highly concentrated though, so can require lots of water to wash out. Oh, and it smells great!
Great for: Daily use, oily hair, dry or unmanageable hair, dull hair, thicker hair, thinner hair
If you’re looking for a shampoo with less artificial ingredients, this could be the one for you. Consisting of entirely naturally-derived ingredients, DermOrganic’s conditioning shampoo adds a whole host of nutrients to the mix, including omega-6, antioxidants, essential lipids, vitamin E and rice amino acids.
The result is a luxurious and delicately unscented lather that adds shine and silky softness to your hair. It does a great job of detangling and adding elasticity and bounce to lifeless locks and penetrates into the follicles to create a barrier against the damaging effects of heat, sun and wind.
The product is a little on the expensive side and it takes a fair amount to get a good lather going, but considering that it’s natural and animal cruelty-free product that actually works, it’s well worth the extra cash.
Great for: Curly hair, daily use, dry hair, overtreated or damaged hair, dull hair, thicker hair, thinner hair
Another great shampoo from Moroccanoil, and this time one that is especially effective for weakened, damaged and over treated hair. Not only does this smell incredible (if little heavy), but it’s super gentle. Coloured and treated hair can see dramatic improvements in feel, shine, look, texture and condition. Like its volume-boosting sister product, expect improved elasticity, moisture and manageability.
As with all Moroccanoil products, the ingredients list is very long, with a few synthetic additives, so if you’re looking for an all-natural product, this may not be the right choice. The results however, are predictably great.
Great for: Curly hair, daily use, oily hair, dry hair, damaged hair, thinner hair
Renpure Originals Argan Oil Shampoo combines the nutritive power of moroccan and coconut oils, with amazing results. Coconut oil is packed with nutrients such as Lauric acid, a fatty acid which protects hair roots from breakages by penetrating and binding to the hair. A study conducted in 2003 showed that when compared to the two most common ingredients in many natural hair care products (mineral and sunflower oil), coconut oil was consistently best at reducing and preventing hair protein loss.
Despite this abundance of natural oils, the shampoo washes out well and won’t leave a reside. It cleans brilliantly and leaves hair soft and shiny. The scent is very delicate, which is a relief as it would have the potential to be quite overwhelming if stronger. However, if you’re on a budget, you can’t really argue with the price!
Great for: Curly hair, daily use, dry hair, damaged or overtreated, thicker hair, thinner hair, dull hair
Another super product with a super price tag, One N’ Only Argan Oil Moisture Repair Shampoo lathers beautifully (despite being sulfate free) and ,thanks to the lack of artificial fragrances, lets the natural scent of argan oil shine through. It leaves the hair hydrated and soft after use, though it can feel slightly dry right after use, so using a conditioner is recommended. This is a great cleanser, which doesn’t leave residue.The only drawback is the size of the ingredients list, which does contain a number of artificial colours and synthetic ingredients.
The natural product to compare this to is the Moroccan Oil Moisture Repair Shampoo, and it doesn’t really live up to the more expensive product. The results aren’t quite as long lasting and the scent does tend to fade towards the end of the day. But for the price, it delivers real bang for buck.
So there you have it. Hopefully after reading this, the task of finding the right Moroccan oil shampoo for you is a little easier. If you agree with our list, or have any suggestions, let us know in the comments below. MO